Store & Forward enables retailers to process credit card sale transactions in the event of an internet or service outage. The feature automatically activates when the RICS>POS receives an outage code from the credit card terminal.
Once activated, the RICS>POS stores all credit card transactions until internet or service is restored; the RICS>POS automatically checks for internet and service availability. When internet is restored, all Store & Forward transactions are automatically sent to MerchantTrack for processing.
Retailers can verify the processing status of Store & Forward transactions using the Credit Card Processing Reconciliation Report.
The Store & Forward feature requires cashiers to enter card information manually. RICS does not guarantee card payments will be processed successfully in the event, but not limited to, card or account information is entered incorrectly, there are insufficient funds at the time of processing, or a deactivated card is used.
This document is a resource for retailers to:
Enable Store & Forward in the Back Office
- Login to the RICS Back Office
- Navigate to Setup :: Manage Store :: Setup Settings
- Enter your RICS Store Number; Click ‘LookUp’
- Click ‘POS Credit Card Processing’
- Click the checkbox next to ‘Enable Store & Forward’
- Select ‘Yes’ in the dropdown
Note: If ‘No’ is selected in this dropdown, Store & Forward will NOT be enabled and credit card processing will be unavailable in the event of an internet or service outage.
- Click the checkbox next to ‘Store & Forward Outage Threshold Dollar Amount’
- Enter a Store & Forward Outage Threshold Dollar Amount
Note: This is the maximum total dollar amount that can be stored per POS terminal during an outage.
- Click the checkbox next to ‘Store & Forward Transaction Threshold Dollar Amount’
- Enter a Store & Forward Transaction Threshold Dollar Amount
Note: This is the maximum dollar amount that can be stored per transaction during an outage.
- Click ‘Save’
Use Store & Forward at the POS
The RICS>POS will automatically switch to Store & Forward, if enabled, in the event of an internet or service outage. Follow the steps below to process a Store & Forward transaction:
- Select a ‘Cashier’ from the ‘Ticket Header’ tab
- Enter a customer account number into the ‘Customer’ field, or use the magnifying class to lookup a customer
- Navigate to the ‘Ticket Detail’ tab to scan or manually enter an item
- Navigate to the ‘Ticket Payment’ tab
- Select a credit card tender; click ‘End Sale’
Note: After clicking ‘End Sale’ a new window will appear on the POS.
- Enter the required card information
- Click ‘Ok’
Note 1: The transaction will complete and be stored on the POS to be automatically processed in MerchantTrack once service resumes.
Note 2: If the transaction amount exceeds the Store & Forward Transaction Threshold Dollar Amount, the following alert will appear once you hit ‘End Sale’
Q: I have Store & Forward enabled in the Back Office; how do I turn on this feature at the POS?
A: When enabled, Store & Forward will automatically switch on when the RICS>POS detects an outage.
Q: When will my Store & Forward transactions be processed in MerchantTrack?
A: Once an outage is resolved, the RICS>POS will automatically send stored transactions to MerchantTrack for processing.
Q: Can I refund a credit card when Store & Forward mode is in use?
A: Store & Forward is supported for regular sales only. Returns are not supported.
Q: One of my Store & Forward transactions was declined in MerchantTrack; how do I contact the customer to seek payment?
A: The RICS Best Practice recommendation is to add a customer file to all Store & Forward transactions so contact information is accessible in the event a payment fails to process.
Q: Why don’t I see a Transaction ID on my Store & Forward transaction receipts?
A: Store & Forward transactions will be assigned Transaction IDs once processed in MerchantTrack. For that reason, Transaction IDs will not be included on receipts from these transactions.