Store & Forward enables retailers to process credit card sale transactions in the event of an internet or service outage. The feature automatically activates when the RICS>POS receives an outage code from the credit card terminal.
Once activated, the RICS>POS stores all credit card transactions until internet or service is restored; the RICS>POS automatically checks for internet and service availability. When internet is restored, all Store & Forward transactions will be sent to MerchantTrack for processing.
Retailers can verify the processing status of Store & Forward transactions using the Credit Card Processing Reconciliation Report.
This document is a resource for retailers to:
Enable Store & Forward in the Back Office
- Login to the RICS Back Office
- Navigate to Setup :: Manage Store :: Setup Settings
- Enter your RICS Store Number; Click ‘LookUp’
- Click ‘POS Credit Card Processing’
- Click the checkbox next to ‘Enable Store & Forward’
- Select ‘Yes’ in the dropdown
Note: If ‘No’ is selected in this dropdown, Store & Forward will NOT be enabled and credit card processing will be unavailable in the event of an internet or service outage.
- Click the checkbox next to ‘Store & Forward Outage Threshold Dollar Amount’
- Enter a Store & Forward Outage Threshold Dollar Amount
Note: This is the maximum total dollar amount that can be stored per POS terminal during an outage.
- Click the checkbox next to ‘Store & Forward Transaction Threshold Dollar Amount’
- Enter a Store & Forward Transaction Threshold Dollar Amount
Note: This is the maximum dollar amount that can be stored per transaction during an outage.
- Click ‘Save’
Use Store & Forward at the POS
The RICS>POS will automatically switch to Store & Forward, if enabled, in the event of an internet or service outage. Follow the steps below to process a Store & Forward transaction:
- Select a ‘Cashier’ from the ‘Ticket Header’ tab
- Enter a customer account number into the ‘Customer’ field, or use the magnifying class to lookup a customer
- Navigate to the ‘Ticket Detail’ tab to scan or manually enter an item
- Navigate to the ‘Ticket Payment’ tab
- Select a credit card tender; click ‘End Sale’
Note: After clicking ‘End Sale’ a new window will appear on the POS.
- Enter the required card information using the following formatting:
- Credit Card Number: 16 digits
- Expiration Month: 01, 02, etc. (Must be 2 digits)
- Expiration Year: 4 digits
- Name on Account: Name on card
- Zip Code: 5 digits, US; 6 digits, CA
- Country Code: US, CA, etc.
- Click ‘Ok’
Note 1: The transaction will complete and be stored on the POS to be automatically processed in MerchantTrack once service resumes.
Note 2: If the transaction amount exceeds the Store & Forward Transaction Threshold Dollar Amount, the following alert will appear once you hit ‘End Sale’
Q: I have Store & Forward enabled in the Back Office; how do I turn on this feature at the POS?
A: When enabled, Store & Forward will automatically switch on when the RICS>POS detects an outage.
Q: When will my Store & Forward transactions be processed in MerchantTrack?
A: Once an outage is resolved, the RICS>POS will automatically send stored transactions to MerchantTrack for processing.
Q: Can I refund a credit card when Store & Forward mode is in use?
A: Store & Forward is supported for regular sales only. Returns are not supported.
Q: One of my Store & Forward transactions was declined in MerchantTrack; how do I contact the customer to seek payment?
A: The RICS Best Practice recommendation is to add a customer file to all Store & Forward transactions so contact information is accessible in the event a payment fails to process.
Q: Why don’t I see a Transaction ID on my Store & Forward transaction receipts?
A: Store & Forward transactions will be assigned Transaction IDs once processed in MerchantTrack. For that reason, Transaction IDs will not be included on receipts from these transactions.